PREP 15 min | TOTAL 45 min
With my wife’s gluten intolerance and her being vegetarian (except for fish—long story), this has become our family favorite. We love barbequed salmon, and this recipe from our go-to cookbook on quinoa, called Quinoa 365: the everyday superfood by Patricia Green & Carolyn Hemming, is so satisfying no one minds eating it twice in one week. The lime cilantro sauce is over the top—you’ll really love it.
- 1/2 cup red quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 3 tbsp light mayonnaise
- 1 tsp grated lime zest
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp minced fresh cilantro
- a pinch of salt
- Four 4 oz fresh wild salmon fillets
- 1 lb asparagus (about 28 spears)
- 1 tbsp butter
- PLACE quinoa & water in a pot, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover & cook 10 minutes. Turn off heat and let sit for another 6 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
- COMBINE sour cream (or fat-free Greek yogurt), mayo, lime zest, 1 tbsp lime juice, ginger, cilantro & salt in a bowl.
- FOIL salmon seasoned with seasoned salt, lemon pepper, and 1/2 tsp. butter.
- BBQ salmon foil pouches on 400 F for 5 minutes on one side then flip for another 3 minutes.
- BOIL asparagus spears in pan for 3-5 minutes (tender but crisp). Drain water & toss with remaining butter & 1 tbsp lime juice.
- SERVES 4 | PER SERVING 415 calories,35 g protein, 22 g carb, 21 g fat, 228 mg sodium, 103 mg cholesterol.