PREP 20 min | TOTAL 60 min
This soup is so green, it reminds me of the time we made our own baby food. At night, when our daughter was sleeping, my wife and I would cook some veg and purée them in a blender. This worked great for peas, carrots, blueberries, bananas… well, you get the picture. This spinach soup is very flavourful and what makes it so hearty is potato. Serve with croutons and a slice or two of olive bread.
- 2 tbsp veg oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup white onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, coarsely chopped
- dash salt
- 3 cups potatoes, peeled & chopped
- 2 1/2 cups veg stock
- 10 oz fresh spinach, rinsed
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup half & half cream (10%)
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- salt & pepper to taste
- WARM oil & butter in a soup pot.
- ADD onion, celery with dash of salt, cover and cook on low heat for ~10 minutes, stirring occasionally until onions are soft & clear.
- ADD potatoes & veg stock, cover and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes until potatoes are soft.
- STIR in spinach, cover and set pot aside off the heat for 2 minutes until spinach is wilted, but still bright green.
- PURÉE soup in batches in a blender or food processor until smooth, gradually adding the milk & cream.
- STIR in nutmeg and salt & pepper, gently heat then serve.
- MAKES 8 cups | PER cup 137 calories, 4 g protein, 16 g carb, 7 g fat, 100 mg sodium, 10 mg cholesterol.