PREP 20 min | TOTAL 60 min
This soup is so green, it reminds me of the time we made our own baby food. At night, when our daughter was sleeping, my wife and I would cook some veg and purée them in a blender. This worked great for peas, carrots, blueberries, bananas… well, you get the picture. This spinach soup is very flavourful and what makes it so hearty is a potato. Serve with croutons and a slice or two of olive bread.
- 2 tbsp veg oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup white onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, coarsely chopped
- dash salt
- 3 cups potatoes, peeled & chopped
- 2 1/2 cups veg stock
- 10 oz fresh spinach, rinsed
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup half & half cream (10%)
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- salt & pepper to taste
- WARM oil & butter in a soup pot.
- ADD onion, celery with a dash of salt, cover and cook on low heat for ~10 minutes, stirring occasionally until onions are soft & clear.
- ADD potatoes & veg stock, cover and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes until potatoes are soft.
- STIR in spinach, cover and set pot aside off the heat for 2 minutes until spinach is wilted, but still bright green.
- PURÉE soup in batches in a blender or food processor until smooth, gradually adding the milk & cream.
- STIR in nutmeg and salt & pepper, gently heat then serve.
- MAKES 8 cups | PER cup 137 calories, 4 g protein, 16 g carb, 7 g fat, 100 mg sodium, 10 mg cholesterol.