PREP 45 min | TOTAL 60 min
I can’t for the love of god remember where this recipe came from. I seem to vaguely recall a magazine clipping, carefully folded up in an old plastic recipe box. Taken out each time we wanted to make it and carefully unfolded like it was some sacred parchment. At some point, I copied it onto a recipe card. Over the years the recipe was modified as I tasted the dish in various Chinese restaurants and adjusted it to suit my palette until it came into the form you see below. It’s great for us because it’s gluten-free.
- 250 g rice vermicelli
- 225 g frozen peeled shrimp
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp milk
- 2 carrots cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 red pepper cut in matchsticks
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger root grated
- 2 tbsp medium yellow curry
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp ea. soy sauce, water, veg oil
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 3 green onions sliced thin
- SOAK rice vermicelli in warm water until soft, then drain (20 min).
- MIX eggs and 1 tbsp milk in a small bowl. Fry in the pan to make small pancake omelet. Chop up and set aside.
- STIR-FRY shrimp & veg (carrot, red pepper, garlic, ginger root) with curry & salt (3 min).
- MIX lime juice, soy sauce, water, oil in a bowl.
- ADD to stir-fry noodles, lime mixture, chopped egg, bean sprouts, and heat through.
- REMOVE from heat and add sliced green onions. Serve.
- MAKES 4 cups | PER 1 cup 436 calories, 19 g protein, 68 g carbs, 11 g fat, 985 mg sodium, 203 mg cholesterol.